Saturday, July 30, 2011

Here's to your health

Went to the ER this week with discomfort in my chest.  Yes, I actually thought I might be having a heart attack!  Fear ran through my blood when the doctor asked me to stay overnight for tests.  As it turned out, my problem was nothing more than a severe sour stomach.  My heart passed the entire battery of tests!  In fact my cholesterol and several other key risk factors tested excellent.  I also had a CT scan to check for blockage in and around my heart.  I scored a zero out of 2000!  My doctor explained that my heart was functioning as well as an 18 year old male.  I had no plaque build up what so ever!  I am 50 years old.  I go to the gym everyday.  In fact I have not missed a day at the gym since December 25th, 2009!  That is approaching 600 consecutive days of vigorous exercise.

The gift of health is just another example of God's grace in my life.  I shudder to think what my life or my health would be had I not turned away from alcohol in 1995.  Fifteen years ago I did not give a hoot about health.  I sure do now.  If your planning on being a part of this earth for awhile put the bottle down now!  Alcohol may not kill, but it most definitely shortens lives, stings the soul and takes the quality out of our remaining days.