Saturday, September 3, 2011

6X9

I was fortunate enough to put the bottle down in time.  I was sober for nearly six years when my dad passed.  I held his hand bedside, in the hospital as the moments to his life came to an end.  He looked directly into my eyes those final moments.  He had a look of peace and serenity.  He smiled at me and I knew he was showing me his approval.  I was grateful that he was able to see me put the bottle down and do something with my life.  His passing was not as painful as it would have been if I was still out there drinking up a storm.

The sad part is that my younger brother was still out there.  He was drinking and drugging to the point where it got him sent to prison.  He had to learn of my fathers death from inside of his 6X9 prison cell.  If only he had thought ahead.

How far ahead you ask?  About five minutes!  In the next five minutes all you need to do is get down on your knees and ask God to come into your life and remove the desire to drink!  That simple decision to go to God with your illness should take you to a place far away from the torture of daily alcoholic bliss. 

That place is called sobriety!