Friday, January 7, 2011

A peaceful look

For years I had painfully remembered the look that came from my father when I showed up unannounced explaining that I, had been kicked out of the Navy.  I would see that look many more times over the next ten years or so.  That look was well deserved.  When I would choose to drink myself blind I would get that look from co-workers, employers, parents, friends, etc...

Years later however, by the grace of God I received a much different look from my Father.  It was a look that changed me forever.  A look I will never forget.  At the time, I had been sober for nearly six years.  I was now married, with two beautiful children.  Drama and dishonesty were no longer a part of my life.

As my father lay dying in a Central Florida hospital we had all gathered to see him one final time.  He was down to his final few minutes.  I took hold of his right hand and held it firmly hoping it would keep him from slipping away.  He then looked at me.  He said nothing.  He did not have to.  The look he gave me meant so much.  I felt his love and acceptance in my heart.  I knew that my being sober put him at peace and he conveyed that peace through his eyes.  He died moments later with that look on his face. 

Had I still been a drunk I don't know how I would have possibly handled his passing.  God was there when I asked to be sober on August 10th 1995.  God was also there on July 4th, 2001 when my father passed.  God is always there when we invite him into our lives!!