Saturday, October 29, 2011

Regrets

Alcohol robs us of so many wonderful moments.  It cheats and steals away memories that were intended to last for a lifetime.  In January of 1986,I decided to go out and get drunk instead of watching Superbowl XX with my dad.  For two weeks we had planned on watching the Chicago Bears destroy the New England Patriots.  The Bears did not disappoint.  My dad was glued to the television the entire game.  However,an hour or so before the game I got the urge.  Alcohol came calling and I obeyed. 

I have always regretted not being able to spend that evening with my dad as he cheered on his favorite pro sports team.  It was not the first and it would not be the last of many regrets and disappointments that were a product of my weakness and the overwhelming power that alcohol had on me.

Alcohol robs and destroys.  It's soothing effects only last a few hours but it's sting and remorse linger for decades on end!