Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Minutes from death!!

16 years ago tonight I found myself minutes from death.  Actually what appeared to be my final moments turned out to be the last time I would take a drink.  Tomorrow August 10, 2011 I will celebrate 16 years away from the bottle.  That is 16 years sober!  There was a time when I could not stop drinking for 16 days. 

That frightful night 16 years ago was a night filled with failure and fear.  Alcohol just quit working for me.  I could not get drunk enough to stifle the pain that was spinning around inside of my mind.  I felt that suicide was the only way out.  I was 34 years old, alone, penniless, nearly homeless and without hope.  I had allowed alcohol to do quite a number on me.  And now I was paying for it emotionally.  I had hit a painful, dark and seemingly inescapable bottom!

As I mentioned death seemed to be the only way out.  But alcohol had done something else to me.  It had turned me into a coward.  Now I was too scared to live and too scared to die.  I was stuck in a horrible crevice.  I then cried out to God for help!!  I would soon realize that what I was doing was praying.  It was the first time I had prayed in years. 

I was emotionally drained.  It was about 2am and I passed out on the floor of the damp and dingy basement room that I was renting by the week.  When I awoke I could not believe I was still alive.  I shot up, got dressed and walk furiously down the street.  Thirty minutes later I walked into a local emergency room.  I told the nurse that I could not stop drinking and was having strong thoughts of suicide.  It was the first time in years I had been honest with another human being.  Within 48 hours I was taken by ambulance to a treatment facility to begin a long term rehab. I had been down this road before but this time something was different.  This time I meant business.  I wanted to LIVE!  And I wanted to be SOBER!  That's how it was 16 years ago.

In the coming weeks I will blog about my early days in recovery.  I hope you will be here right by my side.